A Plan for Real Government Reform
Today, too many Americans feel left out. They see a system that does more to preserve the status quo than it does solving our most pressing challenges, and a class of career politicians and elite insiders.
As a former anti-corruption FBI special agent, I’ve seen the brokenness in our system and I know the real-life impact that it has: soft and hard corruption that tilts the legislative agenda towards special interests; electoral complacency that causes lawmakers to focus on accumulating power rather than serving constituents; and entrenched partisanship that grinds the gears of government to a halt.
That's why, on my first day in Congress, I introduced a legisaltive package to bring about real government reform:
- A Constitutional Amendment enacting term limits for all members of Congress;
- A Constitutional Amendment preventing members of Congress from being paid unless a budget is passed. This is not just withholding pay for a little while, this is complete forfeiture;
- A Balanced Budget amendment so we are forced to stop kicking the can down the road, and will create a fiscal path that will allow the next generation to thrive;
- And a bill I call the Citizen Legislature Anti-Corruption Reform – or CLEAN – Act that includes language to:
- End Congressional “pensions for life” and directs members toward standard 401K retirement savings accounts
- Requires this body to debate and act on single-issue legislation
- Codifies that all laws passed by Congress apply to its members
- Reforms the broken “Gerrymandering” process by moving all redistricting to independent, non-partisan citizen commissions, and
- Expands access to political party primaries to include both Independents and non-affiliated voters